Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Feeling kinda monday

Most of my favorite songs seem to be in C major, one of the simplest keys to play in. No sharps or flats to throw you off the boardwalk. I also noticed myself skipping past songs written in minor keys. Something sounded so negative and almost like a sad wail I wanted to go back into my simple world of C major butterflies. And I like waltz's but I have such bad balance I feel like I am going to stumble and fall in the middle of the dance floor when I hear the tricky three note in one beat quick flickering of notes through the waltz. Like a sentence you need to finish before breathing as the thump thump thump of the bass clef chords let you catch your breath at the end of a long complaint of notes. Yes, I think I like the simplicity and majestic tones of a song in C major. My majorette likes to march along in my head against a cool breeze or relax out in the sun with a lie-back-and-drink-lemonade kind of daze as the sounds of the piano lure away any stormy thoughts. Maybe I just miss playing the piano but I am also very biased towards songs with just the piano. I love the sound of a full orchestra like a gust of wind strong enough to knock over your garbage-can but sometimes I just want that simple song delightfully pieced together with just the white teeth of a grand baby. My C major so deliciously scooped together from the vanilla buttons I crave at the end of the day. But this Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major by Mozart makes a compelling argument like making it to the top of a grass hill barefoot and finally getting to run back down it faster and faster up and down with only 3 black bumblebees to watch out for. Bragging with clarinets the sophistication of playing with 3 black candles letting the wax run down the side so smoothly. But the violins blow in a sort of wind that reminds me of my C major cool breeze.

Today I made a few breezes of my own as I reached for tissue after tissue turning my nose the same pink my cheeks turned when I had to speak in front of a class of at least 70. I don't know if my cold resulted from this ad-libbing massacre or if skipping my allergy medicine for one day can result in a sinus infection. Either way I definitely do not like being the center of attention these days. There was once a time back in the day that I did like to have all eyes on me, I think. In high school I played volleyball and thought I was really good at it, and I still am, I think, since I've been playing all my life. I was outside hitter and I owned my position, or so I thought. After I spiked the ball and got a kill I would give a stare at the other team and put my hands out to my sides as if I were saying what couldn't you pass that? I remember a girl in my stats class bringing this up during the "weekly review" we had with the class. Just like I am now, I didn't like to say much in front of my class but to me this girl said the most meaningful and loaded words that stand out in my memory. She said something like I never realized this but Liz Miller is freakin hilarious on the volleyball court and said something regarding my flaunting ritual after I got a really good hit. More fans began showing up. We always had a fairly packed gym of fans but still, nothing can compare to a gym full chanting your last name.

Piano Concerto No. 18 in B flat major by Mozart... I forgot about the false likelihood that lures you in and then just as you are relaxing into your seat the song reminds you why it is dangerous to ride with flats. Running back and forth between two notes going back and forth in a indecision unable to decide. Sounds too similar to me for me to like. An indecisive song is not going to encourage me to make my mind up faster, even though the concluding notes find a good decision to end on, it still takes a long time to get there. But there is something satisfying about listening to a song start out with a question and then contemplate it with an array of jumbled notes but end with a straight forward answer, like the dong of a bell, a complicated song ending with a simple chord. I think I'd still rather my happy C major song full of different questions with immediate answers with a bow at the end as if showing off your math skills. Maybe I just need to start practicing the piano again and contemplate my own questions and answer them with my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment