Friday, September 3, 2010

Little Black Dress

Today I brought out an old black dress I wore many times for orchestra concerts and high school dances. My classic black dress. Today I had to wear it for a different occasion. Never during the countless times I wore it before did I ever dream of wearing it to a funeral. Today we remembered Trevor Powell, squeezed into a good sized church. It was nice to see old faces but so sad under such circumstances. It was evident that Trevor touched many lives as I've never seen the church packed fuller even on Easter. My face still hurts and is the size of a golf ball on one side from getting my wisdom teeth out but no pain medication could get rid of the hurt I felt for Trevor and his family. Best friend Alex Myerson gave an amazing speech and was incredibly composed afterward. I don't know what it is like to lose a bestfriend in such a way and I can only imagine how hard it was for him to get up there and talk to such a large crowd. The Lord truly works in mysterious ways. Last Friday night I couldn't get to sleep due to an anxiety attack worrying about my wisdom teeth coming out on Tuesday and then Sunday night suddenly my wisdom teeth became the last thing on my mind. How could I be so selfish? The last couple of days I've tried to think what would Trevor want? He was kind to everyone. Never frowned. Wanted the best for everyone. I wish there was more I could do in light of such news and this is what I decided. I think the best anyone can do is be the best friend you can be to everyone and to be kind to everyone. This is how Trevor was and if nothing else, I think this is what Trevor would want. When I looked around at the teary eyes yet smiling warm faces, I knew that I may not be the only one with these thoughts. I pray that this isn't goodbye Trevor, but see you later.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, I just heard about Trevor's funeral ... and I am so sorry. There is never a 'good time' to lose a friend ~ but 20 is too young.
    Keep the faith. I'll keep you, Trevor, Trevor's family and friends, in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete