Monday, June 28, 2010

I hung out with my kids this morning at Starbucks. Brings back memories of when we would hang out over the summer and goof off. I'm over 2 decades old but when we were goofing off around the grocery store having a blast picking out lunch, an employee asked us if we needed any help and glared at us as if we were hoodlums. Yes I fit right in with my kids but today was the first time I truly felt old. I can't wait to be a parent and have kids of my own. I mean, I can wait but being responsible for these kids for 5 days out of the week was such a blast.

While I was out, my other baby was in getting groomed for the first time. Poor guy was stark naked when he came home. Every year around this time he gets itchy skin. Golden retrievers tend to have hip problems and sensitive skin. Both of which my baby has. He's had to wear the cone of shame for the past couple of weeks. He can't sneak up on you now. He can barely fit through the hallways of my house banging into chairs and doorways. He is such a cute clumsy pup.

The rest of the day I spent hiding from the spiders I crawled through while I was weeding the yard. There's this show called intervention I was watching. They follow around an addict for awhile before gathering the family to intervene and try to send the addict to rehab. All the addicts are super extreme. I feel like this show over simplifies things. It tries to capture the feelings underlying the addict from a childhood trauma or family problems. But what about the addicts who are suffering who have the perfect family and had no childhood problems? What about the partier who takes things too far and continues the drug use outside the party? There's this girl I know that has a great family who loves her and spoils her to death. She started partying because she could and there wasn't much else to do. Her lifestyle took her all over the place except college. It never truly became an issue to the point where someone would find it intervention worthy but it did take her far enough to cause serious damage. A young drunk and high girl took a trip that landed her in a stranger's hotel room. She wound up pregnant with a guy she didn't know, not even his name. Considering what could've happened, she was lucky. She was lucky she didn't catch a life threatening s.t.d. But still, she had no excuse for the decisions she made. No family problems or childhood issues. Grew up in a fantastic neighborhood, went to great schools. How do you deal with something like that? No underlying issues to work through to solve the problem that's causing the addiction. I don't understand that TV show, "Intervention". After seeing one episode, I can't imagine watching that as entertainment.

Real life drug addictions involve more than just solving some hidden issue. When you are physically addicted to a drug, the brain changes to compensate for the drug so you need the drug to be "normal". It also causes the user to increase the amount used to get that same high feeling thus continuing the addiction further. Every addiction like this has severe side affects that can eventually lead to death due to various complications. Past the physical side of addiction, psychologically people get addicted because it's more than a drug, it's a lifestyle. Many people who are addicted to smoking cigarettes enjoy the social aspects of talking to other smokers, etc. Others feel psychologically dependent on drugs to numb bad feelings left from other areas of their life. Most people on the show "Intervention" are suffering from both physical and psychological drug addictions but the psychological dependency is very clear and obvious that they are numbing some greater issue. They try and solve the psychological issues with the family and then send the addict off to rehab for their physical addiction. The episode I watched they followed up on the addict as he relapsed several times and currently was barely 30 days clean. I don't think the show was entertaining and was sad and embarrassing to watch.

I start my job bright and early tomorrow morning. First impressions are everything. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment